Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Ma Vie en Vert








Hello. Long time, no write. Apologies. B and I are in the process of painting our bedroom an deep, rich emerald green color. At first, I was a little apprehensive about such a bold color but so far, it looks great. It reminds me of the color of a private library with old wooden furniture and lush oil paintings with ornate golden frames. I have a few gold frames I picked up at the thrift store, so I'm on a search to find the perfect pictures/paintings to go inside them to top off our decor. Check out this pic of the Green Room in the White House. I had no idea they even had a green room. Our room is a little darker green than this, more the color of grass.




This is what I'm picturing for our bedroom (a lot more subdued and wholly supplied by the thrift store, of course).

We were going to get our paint/supplies at Home Depot like the rest of the world, but instead we went to this really old, cluttered hardware shop across the street on Western Ave. It was stuffed full of tools, paint, boxes and boxes of whoknowswhat stacked willy-nilly everywhere. I even saw a random red tea kettle tossed on its side in a pile of junk. The owner had to be at least 85 and has probably been working there for 40 years or more. They didn't have a huge selection of paint but he gave us a pretty good deal on rollers, paint, tarps, etc. It was sort of like that scene in Harry Potter when he goes into that magician's shop for his magic wand and gets lost in a heap of magic junk--just like that except it was just the regular kind of junk, none of it magic (I don't think).

B suggested that when the winter comes and we can't find the tiniest speck of green anywhere in the city, our bedroom will be like a spring pasture, bursting with green. How lovely!

I am obsessed with color. Lately I've been thinking what a cool job it would be to just be an expert on color. Can you do that? I read this book over the winter called Color: A Natural History of the Palette. It's about the history of natural pigments and their origins. It also goes into the history of trade and the societal reprucussions of finding and producing these pigments for artists. Some colors were so rare that artists would purposely not use them in their paintings, and others were so poisonous that artists would get ill or even die from using them. Still others were made from beetles, minerals, saffron, and complex boiling practices.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home