Tuesday, July 25, 2006

A Day of Many Penises

Today I had the day off from work, so I treated myself to an art day.
My doctor has been an avid art collector since the age of 14 and today she gave me an invitation to an art show she curated at the Loyola University Museum of Art. It's called "The Gods as We Shape Them". It's her personal collection of ancient and modern artifacts from cultures all over the world and includes likenesses of deities and gods, objects used in rituals, icons and attempts of different cultures to represent sprituality concretely. Check it out here. It's free on Tuesdays or if you have a student ID, or $6 every other day.

The three things I was most drawn to in this exhibit were firstly, a wooden sculpture of a Mexican mermaid hanging from the ceiling. Accompanying the sculpture was a pamphlet on the history of mermaids as spiritual icons across cultures and the history of how that iconography was carried from culture to culture through water trade routes over hundreds of years.

There was also a whole section of a room devoted to the use of devil imagery in Mexican folkloric culture. Many depictions were of devils practicing everyday tasks of humans. One favorite was the ceramic statues of a posse of devils "hanging out" together and getting drunk, but the coolest one by far was the ceramic sculpture of two devils dressed in doctor's clothing performing surgery.

Last, but certainly not least (that's for sure), was the collection of wooden phalluses. There were about 10 of them in total and they came from all different regions throughout the world--just big wooden penises that looked like large tree stumps with anatomically correct penis heads on top of them.

Next to the garden of pee-pees stood a carved wooden tree, and all of its branches were penises. It was great.

Maybe it's because my boyfriend has been out of town for a week and a half and I miss him terribly and his....ahem, well, you know...but I just really immensely enjoyed this part of the exhibit (tee hee).

And if you thought that was enough cheekiness for the day, oh no, kids. There's more.

Since the LUMA is a hop, skip and a jump away from the MCA, I decided to keep searching. And guess what I found? Yup, you guessed it, more penises. I stumbled into a photo exhibit by the amazing Woflgang Tillmans. He had a huge amount of work hung and some of his photos were blown up to 30x30 or more and others were small 3x5 snapshots. He even had a portrait of the modern day Penis King himself (and I mean that in a good way, of course) the man, the icon: MORRISSEY.

The photos that really stood out (and again, maybe I just need to get laid) were the nudes. He had this great series of couples in the woods without any pants on and the female in the couple would be holding her lover's penis in her hand in a very intimate and almost nonchalant kind of way. Not nonchalant in a way that she didn't care, nonchalant in a way that she was extremely comfortable and very familiar with it.

I know my words aren't doing his photos justice and I can't really find that many good images on google either. Here's one:
I like this one

Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home