Thursday, July 19, 2007

A few weeks ago I was out having a cigarette with my friend from work who just so happens to be a comic book artist. i was telling him about the "time" thesis idea and he began telling me about how he deals with time in terms of comic panels, and how different sizes/placement of panels can denote different speeds or passage of time. this seems like such an obvious way to think about time, but i had never really applied to graphic design before.

It wasn't until I came across this image by artist Christa Donner (I've been a big fan of the artist Christa Donner for a few years now. I think I first read about her work in Venus Magazine), that the idea of panels as a way of showing time passing made real sense to me. Isn't it gorgeous? It really reminds me of the span of a lifetime in these really short little visual bits:


Another artist that is amazing and is worth checking out is Deb Sokolow. She does these great treasure hunt type maps that allow you try travel through and make connections and find secrets. Last year she had an exhibit at the MCA featuring a map that involved pirate ships and Mayor Daley and all kinds of kooky stuff. This stuff has been in the back of my mind as an inspiration for thesis stuff, but I'm not quite sure what the exact connection is yet. I like the idea of being able to travel around a page, through space and time, etc.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home