Tuesday, July 17, 2007

So, some of you may know this (and others may not) but I've decided to do my MFA design thesis on the idea of objective and subjective time. It's still very much a nebulous mess right now but what I'm leaning towards is trying to figure out ways to visualize time. This idea was very much inspired by Edward Tufte and especially The Quantitative Display of Visual Information but to go beyond that data-visualizing stuff (which is fascinating but can get a little dry) I wanted to introduce the idea of subjective notions of time, or the way time feels, in an attempt to visualize a more realistic or more human idea of the feeling of time, rather than the numbers of time.

I've done some research and really at this point, I'm just trying to organize everything I've found. The sources run the gamut from anthropological essays, novels, images, websites, and case studies. I think I'm going to use this blog as a way to organize my sources and discuss any thoughts I have and ask for feedback. So if anyone is interested in this type of discussion, let me know. It would really help me out a lot. Thanks!

This is one of the first web sites I've come across in my research. It's a website called Icastic where designers asked people to sketch on a piece of paper their own visualizations of time. I wish I had thought of this! Here are some of my favorites:




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home