Thursday, July 19, 2007


I found this image when I was looking through Flickr and I did a keyword search of the word "time" just to see what would come up. I like this image because it contains different levels of information. It contains the past and the present. Right now I'm just trying to build up a sort of visual library of things that hit me on a very intuitive level (which is my favorite way to work) about ideas of time. This one really inspires me because it has so much to do with movement and I've come to realize that you can't really talk about time without movement. Time does not exist without space, or in a vacuum. It's subject to outside influences and factors just like everything else in the world.

After looking at this photo, I started thinking about layers of information and layers of images when trying to visualize time. Ideally, you're putting two, three or more layer of information down on the page when you try and visualize time--the past, present and future--or different versions of the future--or a stream of consciousness recollection of the past, something like that. It's never a flat, cut and dry image. This picture of the rear view window got me thinking about different ways I could achieve this idea. Mirrors are perfect for it I think.

The past: picture of a person walking down a long road, street, etc. holding a mirror at their back so that it reflects the path they have just traveled.

The present: picture of a person looking directly into a mirror

The future: picture of a person holding a mirror in front of them so that it reflects the path that they are about to travel

Or maybe it's something like this picture:

and less of a defined path and more of a circular one (sorry, I found this image on Flickr as well and cannot find who it is attributed to. I did not take either of these, just to clarify)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home